Skip to main content

Assignment 3: My Time Diary

 For this time diary, I chose to track my usage of Instagram. I used "Screen Time" on my iPhone to track my usage over 4 days (since I only use Instagram on my phone). I prefer to use Instagram on my phone because it's more user-friendly and I can use it while I'm out. Since it is supposed to be a mostly mobile app, the website version lacks many features. I decided to track from Wednesday to Saturday (as seen below). 


Wednesday - 41 minutes

Thursday - 51 minutes

Friday - 16 minutes

Saturday - 1 hour 6 minutes 




I tend to use Instagram in short 5-10 minute periods throughout the day. But, my most frequent usage is at night around 8pm-12am. This is because it's usually the time I get to relax and everything slows down. The time of semester usually does not affect my usage. The only time would be when I have many essays or readings to do during a short period of time. My screen time will decrease and my most frequent hours of usage moves into the daytime. Rather than the semester affecting my usage, I would say how busy I am (in life) and/or my mood have a greater affect. 

While using Instagram, I comment and like pictures as I mindlessly scroll. Additionally, I check the Instagram stories of the select people I find interesting throughout the day. I mostly interact with influencers' posts, celebrities' posts and the posts of my online friends. I don't follow many people that I know in real life. Although I'm usually engaged on the posts of everyone I follow, there is a cluster of people that I engage with most frequently. We have a lot in common and share similar niches of interest. So, their posts show up on the top of my feed and I DM them the most. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Social Media & The Entertainment Industry : LJ8

       This week's readings were very intriguing because it's something I think about often. Social media has affected the entertainment industry in various ways. Streaming services are starting to ruin the "going out and seeing a movie" experience, with digital media driving "46% of movie box office revenue, despite making up just 14% of studio marketing budgets" (Malnar, 2020).  Likewise, music streaming services and traditional ways of promoting and showing music are being affected by social media. Record labels are already beginning to shift away from focusing on streaming services, saying "With an expanding number of partnerships including Facebook, Tiktok, and Snap, among others, social media is already a meaningful nine-figure revenue stream for us and is growing at a faster rate than subscription streaming (Ingham, 2020).       I believe there are pros and cons to this advancement. Before social media, famous people usually had c...

Images and Messaging : LJ5

Focusing on Flickr this week was very refreshing, as it's not a social media platform that I hear or think about that often. I remember that I used to use Flickr when I was a kid (around and thought I wanted to be a blogger or photographer. It was cool to get back on the site and see how things have changed. It was intriguing to read about the impact that Flickr has had on how we as a society view photos, since Flickr was in the photo-sharing game long before Instagram. It marked the beginning of the shift in how we take and experience photos as well. "The everyday image becomes something that even the amateur can create and comment on with relative authority and ease" (Murray, 2008). The average person can now become creators of content as well as let go of the hierarchy surrounding photography. In explaining that "the nature of photography now is it's in motion" the Journal of Visual Culture highlights the shift in how we view photos (Murray, 2008). I thi...

Metrics and Analytics: LJ3

Reading Chapter 6 has given me more in-depth knowledge on topics I had previously known about. I found it very interesting how much goes on behind the scenes for companies that are trying to grow on social media.  While companies "want visitors to respond to each post" they "also seek higher levels of engagement through liking comments of others and making comments" of their own (Lipschultz 2021).  Reading page 165 specifically made me think of interactions I see happening online everyday. Companies use "trendy" words and try to speak like they are human, and not a corporation. Social media has made these companies decide to speak informally and like they are our friend (probably to make us feel they are more "relatable"). I always found it to be cringe-worthy and very strange.  It also highlights how social media has changed the landscape for things in the real world.  Another interesting part to this reading was the statistics on social media i...