Skip to main content

Reflecting on Social Media : LJ1

After all my time on social media, I have definitely developed some do's and don'ts. I don't tag my location too often, I don't record every perfect moment for the sake of posting it and I don't believe everything I see. I do spend time away from social media and I do try to keep an environment that makes me feel good (ex. curating a following and feed that's good for me).

When I first started using social media, I used Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. This was the period of time where everyone was posting everything, no matter how simple (since social media was newer and exciting). Everything wasn't so heavily doctored or edited. So, I would post a random cup of coffee, selfies and tweet what I was doing. I used to always have a Snapchat story and record every funny or entertaining moment. I now use Instagram, Twitter and Tiktok.  I'm more thoughtful about pictures of myself or my life than I was as a preteen. This means I pay more attention to angles, lighting, poses etc. I've noticed this with others too. However, I don't document as much online as I used to. 

If I could go back, I would have only wished to hop on the YouTuber, Instagram Influencer, or Tiktoker train before it got too oversaturated (ex. starting a Youtube channel earlier).

I feel that social media is great in healthy doses and brings the world closer together. We all share slang that we use, we can all laugh over a viral meme and more. As for self-expression, it's great that there is a place for creatives to go. Social media has opened up non-traditional routes to success for those who aren't meant to fit the 9-5 lifestyle. People who don't feel heard in the real world can be seen. Selfies are another thing that is great in healthy doses since it takes away from a moment if you're always taking pictures. I'm impartial to online images, as long as it's not drastically different from who you actually are. 

The rules and criteria for posting has gotten stricter over time, especially on Facebook and Instagram. I remember during important times, posts and accounts would be deleted for speaking their mind or even mentioning the name. They rule posts as going against community guidelines even if they haven't. 

Comparing yourself to others is natural when being in a space where everyone is editing themselves to be perfect, and only showing the best parts of their life. It's something I still heavily struggle with, as it's hard to differentiate what's real when online. I wouldn't want to quit social media, as I do enjoy it in moderate doses. But, I think quitting social media can be good for your self-esteem, self-image, satisfaction in life and productivity. Having extra free time doesn't hurt either!


Comments

  1. Hello Nyla,
    Great job on your blog, we definitely had similar thoughts. I completely agree with you, personally i too stopped posting as much as i used to. Personally i try to keep my social media solely about me and a couple fun things i do. I try not to post my family or anything personal and i honestly find it way more fun this way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Social Media & The Entertainment Industry : LJ8

       This week's readings were very intriguing because it's something I think about often. Social media has affected the entertainment industry in various ways. Streaming services are starting to ruin the "going out and seeing a movie" experience, with digital media driving "46% of movie box office revenue, despite making up just 14% of studio marketing budgets" (Malnar, 2020).  Likewise, music streaming services and traditional ways of promoting and showing music are being affected by social media. Record labels are already beginning to shift away from focusing on streaming services, saying "With an expanding number of partnerships including Facebook, Tiktok, and Snap, among others, social media is already a meaningful nine-figure revenue stream for us and is growing at a faster rate than subscription streaming (Ingham, 2020).       I believe there are pros and cons to this advancement. Before social media, famous people usually had c...

Images and Messaging : LJ5

Focusing on Flickr this week was very refreshing, as it's not a social media platform that I hear or think about that often. I remember that I used to use Flickr when I was a kid (around and thought I wanted to be a blogger or photographer. It was cool to get back on the site and see how things have changed. It was intriguing to read about the impact that Flickr has had on how we as a society view photos, since Flickr was in the photo-sharing game long before Instagram. It marked the beginning of the shift in how we take and experience photos as well. "The everyday image becomes something that even the amateur can create and comment on with relative authority and ease" (Murray, 2008). The average person can now become creators of content as well as let go of the hierarchy surrounding photography. In explaining that "the nature of photography now is it's in motion" the Journal of Visual Culture highlights the shift in how we view photos (Murray, 2008). I thi...

Metrics and Analytics: LJ3

Reading Chapter 6 has given me more in-depth knowledge on topics I had previously known about. I found it very interesting how much goes on behind the scenes for companies that are trying to grow on social media.  While companies "want visitors to respond to each post" they "also seek higher levels of engagement through liking comments of others and making comments" of their own (Lipschultz 2021).  Reading page 165 specifically made me think of interactions I see happening online everyday. Companies use "trendy" words and try to speak like they are human, and not a corporation. Social media has made these companies decide to speak informally and like they are our friend (probably to make us feel they are more "relatable"). I always found it to be cringe-worthy and very strange.  It also highlights how social media has changed the landscape for things in the real world.  Another interesting part to this reading was the statistics on social media i...