Skip to main content

My Thoughts on "We Are Data": LJ2

I thought that the We Are Data reading was both eye-opening and just as I expected. I've always felt that there were creepy undertones to social media (and the internet in general) but this further validates that. The reading mentions how ignorant Internet users are to how their data is used. I would argue the opposite. While we may not know exact specifics, a lot of us know. We are aware of how invasive technology is. The issue is that it is so woven into our lives that it feels almost impossible to avoid the exploitation of our lives. It almost feels like a toxic relationship. I know that if I want to be on the internet, use my GPS or majority of the functions on my phone/laptop, I have to take part in this. It creates a love-hate relationship with the Internet, where I find myself critiquing the system while being a part of it.

I've previously used the feature talked about on page 6 (www.google.com/ads/preferences) and was relieved how incorrect my identifications were. I thought that maybe it meant they were not getting enough information on me and couldn't create a clear picture. I've learned from this chapter that they actually have gathered more than enough information on me. They've created their clear picture of me. We Are Data emphasizes just how much data they gather even in situations where I wouldn't think they could. "We unintentionally perform our data when we buy food at the grocery store...even just move around our neighborhood (our phone's internal GPS alters our mobile carrier, Facebook, and our other mobile applications where we are)"(Cheney-Lippold, 2019). As said in We Are Data, "It's a reconfiguration, a freshly minted algorithmic truth that cares little about being authentic" (Cheney-Lippold, 2019).

Now that I've read We Are Data, knowing this does not affect my personal or professional use of social media and the internet. I was already aware of how invasive these platforms are. As for my ideas on the ethics of this, I think what's being done is completely unethical. To take so much of someone's information unbeknownst to them feels illegal (and should be). 

References:

Cheney-Lippold, J. (2019). We are data algorithms and the making of our Digital Selves. New York University Press. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Social Media & The Entertainment Industry : LJ8

       This week's readings were very intriguing because it's something I think about often. Social media has affected the entertainment industry in various ways. Streaming services are starting to ruin the "going out and seeing a movie" experience, with digital media driving "46% of movie box office revenue, despite making up just 14% of studio marketing budgets" (Malnar, 2020).  Likewise, music streaming services and traditional ways of promoting and showing music are being affected by social media. Record labels are already beginning to shift away from focusing on streaming services, saying "With an expanding number of partnerships including Facebook, Tiktok, and Snap, among others, social media is already a meaningful nine-figure revenue stream for us and is growing at a faster rate than subscription streaming (Ingham, 2020).       I believe there are pros and cons to this advancement. Before social media, famous people usually had c...

Images and Messaging : LJ5

Focusing on Flickr this week was very refreshing, as it's not a social media platform that I hear or think about that often. I remember that I used to use Flickr when I was a kid (around and thought I wanted to be a blogger or photographer. It was cool to get back on the site and see how things have changed. It was intriguing to read about the impact that Flickr has had on how we as a society view photos, since Flickr was in the photo-sharing game long before Instagram. It marked the beginning of the shift in how we take and experience photos as well. "The everyday image becomes something that even the amateur can create and comment on with relative authority and ease" (Murray, 2008). The average person can now become creators of content as well as let go of the hierarchy surrounding photography. In explaining that "the nature of photography now is it's in motion" the Journal of Visual Culture highlights the shift in how we view photos (Murray, 2008). I thi...

Metrics and Analytics: LJ3

Reading Chapter 6 has given me more in-depth knowledge on topics I had previously known about. I found it very interesting how much goes on behind the scenes for companies that are trying to grow on social media.  While companies "want visitors to respond to each post" they "also seek higher levels of engagement through liking comments of others and making comments" of their own (Lipschultz 2021).  Reading page 165 specifically made me think of interactions I see happening online everyday. Companies use "trendy" words and try to speak like they are human, and not a corporation. Social media has made these companies decide to speak informally and like they are our friend (probably to make us feel they are more "relatable"). I always found it to be cringe-worthy and very strange.  It also highlights how social media has changed the landscape for things in the real world.  Another interesting part to this reading was the statistics on social media i...